9th Annual “Upstate Artists” Juried Group Show
Call For Entries:
The Laffer Gallery is holding an open submission for all forms of two-dimensional and three-dimensional art for a December 2020 – January 2021 juried group show. Please review the guidelines and additional information below for submission of artwork in regard to this exhibition. For an online application form, please click here.
December 12, 2020 – January 17, 2021
Due to COVID-19, there will NOT be an opening reception. We are still prioritizing the health of our team and clients. Face coverings are required for entry. No more than 10 customers/people will be allowed in the gallery at one time.
Please check our website and facebook for any updates or changes to operations. Our plan is to maintain our regular hours (Wednesday – Sunday 12pm – 5pm), but we will continue to follow federal, state and local guidance on business operations.
Entries must be received no later than Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 11:00 pm.
George Dirolf spent many years exploring diverse mediums while teaching high school art at Bethlehem Central. Dirolf is a painter, printmaker and graphic artist. His paintings range from plein-aire oils to larger scale studio work. Subjects are the landscape, snowplows, and trains. He often incorporates relief text or images into these paintings. As a printmaker he works in relief prints: woodcuts, wood engravings, and linocuts. Images again derive from the landscape; birds, plants and insects round out his interests, a recent series of engravings are entitled “A Suite for St. Francis.” He also works in large scale charcoal drawings on mylar, most of these begin with photographic resources he shoots while hiking in the Adirondacks, Catskills, Colorado, and California.
- Artists must be willing to loan works of art for display for the entire period of the exhibition.
- Artists must reside within a 125-mile radius of Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Works that have been completed in the past 2 years are eligible.
- There is a maximum size of 48”w by 72”h (including frame) for submitted artwork.
- Artists may submit up to 3 pieces of work to be considered.
- A one-time non-refundable $25 submission fee is required with application to assist with exhibition costs.
- Completed application (please see the Artist Application).
- Note: Student artists are welcome to apply.
How To Apply
Application and artwork images may be submitted online at http://thelaffergallery.com/call-for-art OR be sent by mail/delivered in-person to the Gallery. Artists submitting artwork for consideration must include the following:
- Digital images of your artwork on CD. Please label images in the following manner: LastName_FirstName_Title_Size_1.jpg, In addition, please ensure that image files are in .jpg format and are no larger than 18mb in size. NOTE: CD’s will only be returned if a self-addressed, stamped bubble mailer, sized appropriately is included.
- A non-refundable $25 application fee. Please make checks payable to The Laffer Gallery.
- A digital copy of artist’s resume.
- A digital copy of an artist’s statement describing the composition of the artwork being submitted (max of 250 words).
- COMPLETED ARTIST APPLICATION
Please submit application and required materials listed above by mail or in person to:
The Laffer Gallery
Attn: George Dirolf
96 Broad Street
Schuylerville, NY 12871
Notifications of work(s) selected will be e-mailed (please check your junk mail) by Friday, November 20, 2020. The selections of the Juror are final.
Three Artists will be selected by juror George Dirolf for a group exhibition at The Laffer Gallery during the 2021 season.
$200 People’s Choice Award
Ballots will be available at the gallery for the first 3 weeks of the exhibit. We will ask our viewers to vote for their favorite work. The winner will receive $200 and be featured on the gallery website and on social media. We will notify the winner on Monday, January, 4th 2021.
During the “Upstate Artists” exhibition, the price of artwork is to be determined by the artist with fifty (50) percent of the final sale payable to the artist and fifty (50) percent of the final sale to be paid to The Laffer Gallery.
Delivery of work
Pre-exhibition: Selected artists will be expected to deliver their artwork to The Laffer Gallery on Saturday, November 28, 2020 between 12:00pm and 5:00pm, Sunday, November 29, 2020 between 12:00pm and 5:00pm or Monday, November 30, 2020 between 9:00am and 1:00pm. Artwork must be suitably framed or mounted (no exposed glass edges, please) with hanging wire securely attached to the frame. The Laffer Gallery reserves the right to not accept any artwork in fragile or unstable condition and to improve upon hanging devices if necessary.
Removal of work
Post-exhibition: Removal dates for exhibited works are Sunday, January 17, 2021 between 5:00pm and 7:00 pm or Monday, January 18, between 9:00am and 2:00 pm 2021.
Submission of images for judging constitutes an agreement by the artist to the conditions of the above guidelines. Additionally, by submitting a gallery application, the artist authorizes The Laffer Gallery to photograph and/or reproduce any accepted work for purposes including, but not limited to, catalogue, website, educational, publicity and marketing for this exhibition only.
Please click here for an online application.